Justice Catherine Bamugemereire’s crusade against those accused of grabbing land and fuelling conflicts has not spared high profile figures with clout and leverage.
Now, President Yoweri Museveni has granted her Commission of Inquiry into Land Matters six more months. It had been given six months which expired on November 9. A statement by the Commissions Lead Counsel, Ebert Byenkya, quotes Justice Bamugemereire as saying the instrument of extension was received a couple of days ago.
“It is a welcome development because it is an endorsement of the work of the Commission by the appointing Authority,” reads the statement.
The President according to a notice amending Legal Notice No. 2 of 2017 dated November 5, said the extension is deemed to have come into force on November 10, 2017. He said the Commission shall execute its mandate within six months from the date of publication of the notice.
The Commission has since early May been conducting public hearings in and outside Kampala. It has unearthed a number of wrongful land evictions as well land grabs perpetuated by surveyors, lands ministry officials and Uganda Land Commission. Some of the land grabs have been orchestrated by military officers.
Other members include Mary Odupa Ochan, Dr Robert Sebunya, Joyce Habasa, Dr Rose Nakayi, Hon Fred Ruhindi, George Bagonza Tinkamanyire, Olive Kazzarwe Mukwaya, Dr Douglas Singiza and John Bosco Rujagaata.