Taking the place of one of Uganda’s most respected leaders is no easy task but High Court Judge Benjamin Isingoma Kabiito the new chairman of the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) is up to the job, the judiciary says.
Justice Kabiito, who is currently based at Fort Portal High Court was on Thursday appointed by President Museveni.
Contacted on Thursday, Solomon Muyita, a senior communications officer at the Judiciary, confirmed the appointments, which have been made about 6 months after the expiry the previous JSC mandate.
He will be deputised by Supreme Court judge Faith Mwondha and will both be assisted by former Uganda Law Society president Ms Ruth Sebatindira, Ms Norah Matovu Winyi, Dr Laban Nnini Kirya, Ms Rose Nyakikongoro, Ms Amongin Aporu and Ms Justin A. Mugabi.
The parliament’s Appointments Committee has set next Wednesday for vetting of the new Judicial Service Commission members.
NAME : KABIITO ISINGOMA BENJAMIN
DATE OF BIRTH : 31ST JULY, 1958
MARITAL STATUS : Married with two children
EDUCATION: INSITUTIONS ATTENDED.
- Eastern and Southern African Management Institute 2014.
- Kyankwanzi National School for Political Education.
- Law Development Centre, Kampala 
- Makerere University [ 1978 -1981]
- Ntare School [1976 – 1977]
- Leo’s College, Kyegobe [1973 1975]
- Kabalega Senior Secondary School 
- Shimon Demonstration School, Kampala [1964-1971.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration Esami. (2014)
Bachelor of Laws Degree [LL.B] Makerere University (1981)
Post Graduate Diploma in legal practice, Law Development Centre, Kampala. (1982)
- JUDICIAL SERVICE:
Appointed Judge of the High Court of Uganda, Courts of Judicature on 1st May, 2008.
- Deployed as a Judge at the High Court of Uganda, in Kampala in the Criminal Division, Central circuit.
- Redeployed to the Civil Division of the High Court in December 2010
- Redeployed as Resident Judge in charge of the Fort Portal High Court Circuit in July 2016 to date.
- PROFESSIONAL LEGAL CAREER:
- Enrolled as an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and all courts sub-ordinate thereto, on 2nd October 1985.
- Commissioned as a Commissioner for Oaths for the Republic of Uganda on the 30th day of October, 1998.
- Commissioned as a Notary Public for the Republic of Uganda on the 12th January 2001.
- CIVIL SERVICE.
- Employed as a State Attorney attached to the Department of Public Prosecutions in the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs from 1982 to 1993 .Rose from Pupil State Attorney to a Senior State Attorney as at 1993 and served at, the Districts Jinja, Kamuli, Iganga and at the Headquarters.
- In 1993 resigned from Public Service, discharged honorably in order to join private legal practice.
- Engaged in all aspects of Public Prosecutions, before all Courts of Judicature.
- Perusal of police files and advising on state of investigations thereon.
- PRIVATE LAW PRACTICE: (1993 to 2008)
- In 1993 joined Shonubi, Musoke & Co. Advocates as Senior Legal Associate in private law practice.
- In 1995, Managing Partner in Kajara, Kabiito & Co. Advocates a private law practice set up with 4 others, which handled all aspects of general law practice such as, Criminal Law, Corporate, Commercial Conveyance transactions, and Labor law. (Firm later changed name to Kabiito & Co. Advocates)
- Legal consultancy Services to a number of local and international NGO’s such as, GTZ Federal Republic of Germany Government Parastatal for overseas development office in Uganda; AVSI Italian International Volunteers Association office in Uganda; Aga Khan Education Services/Aga Khan University Uganda; Compete Project a USAID Project Managed by Carana Corporation Inc. USA; Apparels Tri –Star (U) Ltd – an AGOA project.